Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ruth

This week started off in the middle of a camping trip. Well our Pastor has been really emphasizing the fact that Sunday should be the beginning of the week. Our worldly minds just don't work this way. However, if the beginning of the week was Sunday, we were in the middle of a camping trip at Bellows Beach (military recreation right on the beach). Our church is on the same side of the island so we were able to still be at church. Church going in Hawaii is not as strict with the attire as is in the south. They never even knew we were camping.

Monday was Cole's birthday. He had 2 friends that spent the night camping and then we all played at the beach until after lunch. He didn't have a cake...but we did smores the night before. He didn't seem bothered by that. I always tell the kids that I cannot believe I have kept them alive and haven't lost them in all the years they have been with us. This will be Cole's 11th year and I haven't lost him yet....I also tell them that being a wife and a mother is the longest job I have ever had.

Tuesday back to the daily grind and forgetting already what was told to me on Sunday, I was already in despair about the messy house and questioning the ability to homeschool the children. Then an email came....My friend Ruth has been fighting cancer for a long time, one who has gotten one place cleared up only to find months later that cancer has appeared somewhere else in her body. My world suddenly became very small. I wonder how she does it. How she plugs away everyday not knowing the outcome when I am so impatient everyday not knowing the outcome of so many things that are little in respect to what she has going on.

She said to me when she found out I was having #4...."I always wanted more children (she has two boys) but I guess God thought I could handle cancer better." Now that my friends is an amazing woman. But it will not stop there. She will take her cancer and give glory to God and praise him for the grace he has bestowed on her to deal with this intruder in her body. Please pray for my dear friend Ruth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Phew, that "I could handle cancer better" part made me cry. Wow.
I'll be praying. I know how hard this is.